Postgraduate Programmes FAQs

1. What are the modes of postgraduate courses offered Arts USM?

We currently offer Masters and PhD programmes by research only.

2. How do I find a supervisor?

Once you have decided the area or topic of your research, you can browse through the available lecturer’s profiles to view their research interests. You may also look at the research link and you will be able to select your supervisor based on the research that they are engaged in.

3. What are the fees for postgraduate courses at Arts USM?

Please refer to the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) website of USM.

4. What happens if I need to defer semesters or apply for leave from study?

You are allowed to take leave (up to one or two semesters) for financial, family or healthrelated problems. You will need to write in to the IPS and Arts USM to apply for leave.

5. Am I allowed to change supervisors if I am not happy with my current supervisor?

Yes, you may, but you will need to fill in a special form.

6. What is the duration of study for postgraduate programmes at Art USM?

For Masters it is a two-year programme.

For PhD, it is a three-year programme.

7. Can I change from full-time study to part-time study?

Yes, you may but you have to write in to Arts USM and IPS to inform them of the change.

8. Who should I contact should I have more questions?

We are always happy to answer your questions. Please send your queries to You can also make an appointment with the Deputy Dean of Research Postgraduate and Linkages for more information.