Dr. Pravina Manoharan
PhD in Ethnomusicology 2015 (Monash University, Melbourne)
Topic : Tamil Diaspora in Malaysia: The History, Politics and Sounds of Diasporic Identity
Masters of Arts 2008 (Universiti Sains Malaysia)
Topic : From Classical to Fusion: Changes in Hindustani Sitar Music Hindustani Sitar Music in Malaysia as Exemplified in the works of Orme Maheswaran and Samuel J. Dass
Undergraduate : Music Education (minoring in English) 2003 (University Putra Malaysia)
Awarded the Deans List for the final three consecutive semesters.
Grade 8 in piano from the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music.
Also play the Violin, Gamelan and the Harmonium.
- Functional Keyboard Class
- Aural Skills
- Selected Topics in Music
- World Music
- Tutor with University Science Malaysia between 2004 and 2006.
- Western Music Appreciation
- Introduction to Western Music Theory
- Introduction to Music
- Aesthetics in Music Contemporary
- Intensive Vocal training classes for the music department choir members.
Masters (mix-mode) - Graduated
- Yeap Boon See (2017) : Pembentukan Ensebel Nyanyian dan Alat Perkusi di Kalangan Kanak-kanak Prasekolah yang Berumur 5 – 6 Tahun Dengan Mengintegrasikan Pendekatan Orff dan Teori Persediaan Audisi Gordon.
Internal Examiner - Masters
- Tan Yng Ling (2017) : Upacara Ritual Gong Tek Masyarakat Teo Chew Cina di Malaysia: Muzik, Teks dan Gerakan
- Ooi Rue Wen (2015) : Teknik Pengajaran dan Repertoir Serta Carta Organisasi Orkestra Cina Sekolah Menengah Jit Sin Merupakan Model Kecemerlangan: Melalui Social Congnitive Theory Comprehensive Musicianship Serta EngagementTheory
- Catherine Chin Yan Xi (2015) Intergrasi Teori Pembelajaran Muzik Gordon dan Pendekatan Kodaly dalam Menghasilkan Sebuah Pelan Pengajaran yang Lengkap dan Berkesan dari Segi Meningkatkan Kemahiran Pic dan Ritma dalam Kalangan Kanak-kanak yang Berumur Enam Tahun
- Backer, M. B. Manoharan, P. Translating Archaeological Artifacts and Architectural Remains at Bujang Valley Through Performance. Proceeding ofthe 4th Symposium. The ICTM Study Group On Performing Arts of SoutheastAsia
- Manoharan, P. Locating the Soul in Performance for Healing Penerbit USM.
- Backer, M. B. Manohara, P. 2017, Mind, Body, Spirits and Souls in Traditional Healing: A Perspective of Bageh, In Locating the Soul in Performance for Healing Penerbit USM
- Manoharan P. & Yoshioka, Y. 2016. Challenging the Boundaries of Convention: Sirius Quartet in Concert. Wacana Seni Journal of Arts Discourse. Vol 15, Pp. 36 -39
- Othman, J. A. Hardy, A. S. Manoharan, P. 2016 Performing a Negotiation of the Borders Between the Academia, Industry and Community. Wacana SeniJournal of Arts Discourse, Vol 15: 137–146.
- Manoharan, P. 2008. Towards Fusion: New Trends in Hindustani Sitar Music in Malaysia. Wacana Seni Journal of Arts Discourse. Vol. 7, Pp. 23-44.
- Manoharan, P. 2008. From Classical to Fusion Changes in Hindustani Sitar Music in Malaysia. UPM Music Forum Monograph Series. UPM Monograph publications. Pp. 16-23.
- Translating notions of Diasporic Identity through Tamil Hip-Hop, Presented at The 7th Asian Translation Traditions Conference, Monash University Malaysia on 28 September 2016
- Translating Archaeological Artifacts and Architectural Remains at Bujang Valley Through Performance. Presented at the 4th Symposium of the ICTMStudy Group on Performing Arts of Southeast Asia in Cititel Hotel, Penang on 2August 2016.
- Tamil Hip-Hop; The contemporary sound of the South Indian diaspora in Malaysia. Presented at the International Association for the Study of PopularMusic (IASMP) conference in Wellington, New Zealand on 28 November 2011.
- Malaysian Tamil Hip-Hop; A Malaysian and South Indian Musical Collaboration. Presented at the New Zealand Musicological Society (NZMS) on23 November 2011
- Fusion: The Growing Trend in Hindustani Sitar Music in Malaysia. Poster Presentation at the Indian Musicological Society (IMS) seminar in Mumbai on 15 January 2010.
- Ethnomusicology and Early Childhood Music Education. Presented at an education conference in University Technology Mara (UITM MARA) Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia on 22 September 2008
- From Classical to Fusion: Changes in Hindustani Sitar Music in Malaysia. Presented at University Putra Malaysia in conjunction with the Colloquium forMusic Research on 12 June 2008.
- 2nd Malaysian National Conference of Music Education 2004, MusEd’04
- 1st Malaysian National Conference of Music Education 2002, MusEd’02
- Facilitator for a Drama and Movement workshop for the Ipoh Fine Arts Society. 2015
- Module writer for OUM’s (Open University Malaysia) Bachelor of Music Education program.
- Music Teaching 2 (2007).
- Music Teaching 7 (2007)
- Music Education for Primary 5 & 6 (2008)
- Music Teaching 9 (2008)
- Module translator (from Bahasa Melayu to English) for OUM’s (Open University Malaysia) Bachelor of Music Education program.
- Music Teacher and vocal instructor at TenBy International School Penang.
- Currently orchestrating a fusion ensemble of Indian and Western instruments for the Sri Sathya Sai Baba Center of Penang’s SMARANAM ORCHESTRA.