Dr. Johan Awang Othman
Senior Lecturer (DS51)
Johan Othman, a native of Kuala Lumpur, pursued his undergraduate education at Oberlin Conservatory of Music graduating in 1997 with a major in music composition and in 1999 he graduated from Yale University with a Masters of Music in music composition. In 2015 he obtained his PhD in Art History and Theory from Universiti Sains Malaysia. His past scholarly papers which range from music and cultural studies, sound/image constitution in film, and gender/image signification have been presented using the following titles: “The Body as Agency of Imaginary Gendering: Re-imagining Medea’s Gender Formation and Positioning” (ICHSC 2011), “Privileging the Absence in Claire Denis’s ‘Vers Nancy’” (2nd PACIA 2011), and “Cultural Decentralization Within A Post-Colonial Territory: Movements in Malaysia’s Musical Culture” (Wacana Seni 2002). He currently teaches music in the School of the Arts, Universiti Sains Malaysia since 1999.
- 1997 - Bachelor of Music (B. Mus), Major in Music Composition and minor in Music Theory, Oberlin Conservatory of Music OHIO, USA.
- 1999 - Masters in Music (M.Mus), Music Composition, Yale School of Music, Yale University
- 2015 - Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), History and Theory of Arts, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- 1999 - Current - Senior Lecturer (DS52), Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Music Composition & Theory
- Art History and Theory
- Gender & Cultural Studies
- VZM400/8 - Music Project
- VZM513/20 - Music Pedagogy And Performance Thesis
- VZM512E/4 - Music Pedagogy And Performance Seminar
- VZM507E/4 - Traditional And Contemporary Applied Studio
- VZM302/2 - Music Technology
- VZM352/2 - Desktop Publishing In Music Technology 2
- VST502/4 - Contemporary Art Theory
- VZM211/4 - Contemporary Musical Aesthetics
- VZM218/3 - History Of Western Music
- Cultural Studies
- Gender, the arts, and performing arts
- Music and culture, music composition & theory.
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, Mohammad Khizal Bin Mohamed Saat, Shahrul Anuar Bin Shaari, A Comparative and Case Study of the Cultural Conventions Articulated in the Performative Operation of a Local Private Art Gallery Located in the City Periphery Area , RM10,558.00, 15/12/2014-14/03/2017
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, -, A Comparative and Case Study of the Cultural Conventions Articulated in the Performative Operation of a Local Private Art Gallery Located in the City and Periphery Area., RM10,558.00, 15/12/2014-14/12/2016
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, PROGRAM BIMBINGAN PASUKAN KOIR SEKOLAH SK BATU MAUNG, PULAU PINANG - TRANSFER OF KNOWLEDGE, RM1,320.00, 01/09/2014-15/11/2014
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, -, Developing Electronic Music For Contemporary Opera 'Conference of the Birds', RM5,000.00, 02/09/2009-01/09/2010
- A.S. Hardy Shafii, Johan Awang Bin Othman, Tan Sooi Beng, Locating the Contemporary Identity of Makyung: Interrogating the Development of Makyung as Performance in the South-East Asian Region, RM69,400.00, 01/12/2017-30/11/2019
- Mumtaz Begum Binti Pv Aboo Backer, Hong Kim Lan, Johan Awang Bin Othman, Mohd Mokhtar Bin Saidin, Mohd Najib Bin Abdullah Sani, Muhizam Bin Mustafa, Muralitharan Pillai A/l D.m Doraisamy, Pravina A/P Manoharan, Translating Archaeological Artefact
- Eddy Izuwan Bin Musa, 2017, Master, Research - Full Time, Narrative Configurative Settings Within A "Still" Frame: A Study and Construction of Cultural Portraits of Selected Malaysian Waterfront Cities
- Li Ang, 2017, Doctor of Philosophy, Research - Full Time, the Aesthetical Research of MultipleSensory Combinations and Life Processing Art Forms Direct Representations
- Michael John Veerapen, 1900, Master, Research - Part-Time, Musicals
- Mohd Azhar Bin Abu Bakar, 2017, Master, Research - Part Time, the History of Vocal Recording in Malaysia
- Koh Sook Chin, 2014, Master, Research - Full Time, Concepts Regarding Sound Immersion and Interactivity in FPS Game Audio Technology, Main Supervisor
- Juan Pablo De Zubiria Rueda, 2015, Master, Research - Part-Time, Appropriating the Fibonacci Series in Original Music Compositions, Main Supervisor
- Ngiao @ Yeow Tzu-en, 2006, Master, Research - Full Time, Musical Compositions Based on a Study of the Figurative and Textural Dialectic in Selected Art Works: Music as Metaphorical Reflections, Main Supervisor
Citation Indexed Journal
Main Author/Corresponding Author
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, 2002, Cultural Decentralization Within a Post-Colonial Territory: Movements in Malaysia's Music Culture, Wacana Seni: Journal of Arts Discourse, 1
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, 2011, The Body As Agency of Imaginary Gendering, Humanities, Society and Culture: International Proceeding of Economics Development and Research
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, 2015, Constituting Gender, Locating the Body, Journal of Gender Studies
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, 2015, Can Medea Speak? Tracing Euripides Medea’s Complex Performative Gendering in Her Speech from the Outside in the Outside, PROCEDIA: Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, 2016, Performing a Negotiation of the Borders between the Academia, Industry and Community. Wacana Seni: Journal of Arts Discourse
Chapter in Research Book (Non-Proceedings)
- Johan Awang Bin Othman, 2015, Music in Makyung: Selected Standardised Songs, in (Music in Makyung: Selected Standardised Songs), Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (DBP)
Proceeding/Conference Presentation (Oral and Poster)
- Can the Woman Speak? Tracing Euripides' Medea's Speech From Outside in the Outside 26/11/2014 - 28/11/2014, 3rd International Conference on Linguistics Literature and Culture, Royale Bintang Penang (International)
- Training of Music Teachers for Establishing a SK Batu Maung Choir group - Transfer of Knowledge.,17/11/2014 - 18/11/2014, Industry-Community Engagement Conference 2014 (UICEC 2014), Dewan persidangan Universiti Sains Malaysia(University)
- Constituting Gender, Locating the Body,14/02/2014 - 14/02/2014, Research on Fridays, Pusat Pengajian Seni, USM (University)
- Aspects of Knowledge Transfer and Contemporary Makyung Adaptation: A Study of Makyung Sindong,27/07/2016 - 28/07/2016,6th International Conference on Local Knowledge 2016 (ICLK) Universiti Sains Malaysia, St. Giles Wembley Hotel, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia(International)
- A Critique of the Subject as a Catachresis In and Between the Global and Local in Gayatri Chakravorty
- Spivaka’s Can the Subaltern Speak - 28/09/2016 - 29/09/2016, Fourth International Conference On Linguistics, Literature and Culture, Eastin Hotel, Penang, Malaysia(International)
- Images and Historiography as Paradox of Marking and Sustaining the Voice of the Subaltern,31/10/2017 - 01/11/2017, Eighth International Conference on The Image, Venice International University, San Servolo, Venice, Italy(International)
2016 - Anugerah Perkhidmatan Cemerlang Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (Kuala Lumpur),
SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY
- AJK Project Video Pusat Pengajian Seni, 14/07/2017-14/08/2017 (School)
- Reviewer for article Wacana Seni PPSENI, 01/07/2017-01/08/2017 (School)
- Adjudicator for Piano Achievement Day 2017, 22/04/2017-23/04/2017 (School)
- Reviewer for Publication, 10/04/2017-14/04/2017 (University)
- Invited lecturer for Kursus PET102 Kemahiran Lisan TESOL, 06/03/2017-13/03/2017 (School)
- Committee member of Editorial Board for Wacana Seni Journal, 01/01/2017-31/12/2017 (School)
- Committee member of Sidang Pengarang Sister JSP Sister, 01/01/2017-31/12/2018 (University)
- Moderator for 2nd International Conference on Creative Media, Design And Technology, 26/09/2016-27/09/2016
- Moderator for International Conference on Local Knowledge (Kearifan Tempatan), 28/07/2016-28/07/2016
- Judges for 3MT competition., 16/08/2016-16/08/2016 (University)
- Moderator for International Conference on Local Knowledge (Kearifan Tempatan), 28/07/2016-28/07/2016 (-)
- Interview panelist for Undergraduate intake 2016, 09/05/2016-09/05/2016 (-)
- Facilitator for Apex Scholar Program Siri 1, 07/04/2016-07/04/2016 (-)
- Speaker for Posstgraduate Seminar, 02/12/2015-02/12/2015 (-)
- AJK Persidangan Antarabangsa Kreatif Media, Rekabentuk & teknologi, 26/10/2015-27/10/2015 (-)
- Theatre Hamlet, 12/12/2014-14/12/2014 (-)
- Persidangan Antarabangsa Kreatif Media, Reka Bentuk dan Teknologi (REKA), 25/11/2014-27/11/2014 (-)
- Bengkel Halatuju pelajar baru SA 2014/2015, 21/09/2014-21/09/2014 (-)
- Ahli panel temuduga calon pelajar mix mode, 04/08/2014-04/08/2014 (-)
- Theatre performance: "Reflections on an OTHER", 11/05/2014-17/05/2014 (-)
- Panel Temuduga program ijazah sarjana muda SA14/15, 10/05/2014-10/05/2014 (-)
- Evaluator for USM Third Piano Achievement Day, 03/05/2014-03/05/2014 (-)
- Persembahan Konsert ORFEO Trio, 25/03/2014-25/03/2014 (-)
- PENGERUSI RANCANGAN, PUSAT PENGAJIAN SENI, 15/01/2014-31/12/2015
- Bengkel Seramik Selsius: USM 2014, 08/01/2014-14/04/2014 (-)
- PENGERUSI RANCANGAN, PUSAT PENGAJIAN SENI, 26/03/2009-31/12/2009
- PENGERUSI RANCANGAN, PUSAT PENGAJIAN SENI, 26/03/2007-25/03/2009
- PENGERUSI RANCANGAN, PUSAT PENGAJIAN SENI, 26/03/2005-25/03/2007
- PENGERUSI RANCANGAN, PUSAT PENGAJIAN SENI, 26/03/2003-25/03/2005
- Ahli Jawatankuasa Perancangan Cadangan Penawaran Program Minor Sains Warisan, 01/01/1900-01/01/1900 (-)
COMMUNITY & INDUSTRY ENGAGEMENT
- Project Member, Pensyarah Jemputan Kursus Pegawai Skuadron SIRI 88/17, Community, 17/07/2017-20/07/2017
- Project Member, Pensyarah jemputan bagi kursus pegawai skuadron siri 86/16, Community, 29/08/2016-02/09/2016
- Pensyarah jemputan bagi kursus pegawai skuadron siri 83/15, -, 14/03/2016-18/03/2016 (State)
- Pensyarah jemputan bagi kursus pegawai skuadron siri 84/15, -, 01/09/2015-04/09/2015 (State)
- Pensyarah jemputan bagi kursus pegawai skuadron siri 83/15, -, 03/03/2015-05/03/2015 (State)
- Pensyarah Jemputan Bagi Kursus Pegawai Skuadron Siri 82/14, -, 10/09/2014-17/12/2014 (State)
- Program Bimbingan Pasukan Koir SK Batu Maung, Pulau Pinang, -, 04/09/2014-15/11/2014 (District)
INDUSTRY INVOLVEMENTS & PROJECTS COLLABORATION
- Conference of the Birds (Opera) Produced by Five Arts Centre and James Lochhead.Songs and soundscapes for two theatre projects in collaboration with Pocketsize productions and Five Arts Centre – Ang Tau Mui & The Sandpit.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATION & EXHIBITION
- Paper presentation “Privileging the Absence in Claire Denis’s Vers Nancy” (PACIA 2011 in USM).
- Paper presentation “The Body as Agency of Imaginary Gendering: Re-imagining Medea’s Gender Formation and Positioning”(International Conference on Humanities, Society and Culture in Kuala Lumpur 2011).
- Paper presentation “Performing Gender in Artworks: A Case Study of Nalini Malani’s Visual Re-presentations of Euripides’ Medea. (KANITA USM March 2013 & School of Social Sciences April 2013).
- Music composition ittar performed by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra 2003 (MPO Forum for composers).
- Music composition topeng 1 performed by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra 2004 (MPO Forum for composers).
- Music composition topeng 2 performed by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra Chamber players for contemporary music, 2007.
- Music composition whose shadow would fall on at the 29th Asian Composers League Conference and Festival in Taiwan, 2011.
PRODUCTION / PERFORMANCES
A participant at the Asian Pacific Composers Music Festival in New Zealand (1992). Written music for three musical theatres performed in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia:
- ‘The Stage’ (Actors Studio)
- ‘Reunion’ (Five Arts)
- ‘Oh Brickfields’ (Five Arts)
- ‘Peristalsis’ for chamber orchestra performed by the Cleveland Chamber Orchestra, Cleveland USA 1995.
- ‘Papilio Albus’ for soprano and chamber orchestra performed by the Oberlin Orchestra, 1996.
- ‘Kist’ for orchestra performed by the Yale Philharmonic Orchestra, 1998.
- Various chamber and solo works performed at contemporary music concerts at Oberlin Conservatory and Yale.
- Music for a Bangsawan theatre entitled ‘Tengku Puteri Salasiah’.
- ‘Ittar’ for chamber orchestra performed by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra during MPO Forum for Composers Phase I 2003.
- ‘topeng I’ for orchestra performed by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra during MPO Forum for Composers Phase II 2004.
- ‘topeng II’ for 18 performers performed by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra Chamber Players for Contemporary Music Concert 25 April 2007.
- ‘Composition for Piano No.8’ performed by Loo Bang Hean for a CD recording of ‘Malaysian Contemporary Music Vol.1’ produced by Hardesh Singh and CH Loh in collaboration with ‘Off The Edge Magazine’, February 2008.
- ‘the dancing mouse’ [vocalize version] for soprano and harp based on a poem by William Radice of the same title. The poem is taken from a set of 14 poems that form the last part of a new book published separately in June 2008 English-German, illustrated edition by Hirundo Press in Hamburg. The recording is performed by Helen Radice on Harp and soprano Angelika Huber for the book launch in Hamburg.
- ‘the dancing mouse’ [1st version] for soprano and harp performance premiered at the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Center 13 July 2008 during the HSBC Young Composers Workshop 2008.
- ‘Dying In Order To Live’ for soprano and piano. An excerpt from the opera ‘Conference of the Birds’ based on a libretto by William Radice. Premiered on 13 July 2008 at the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Center during the HSBC Young Composers Workshop 2008.
- ‘Conference of the Birds’ An opera. A workshop performance produced by the Five Arts and co-produced by James Lochhead took place in Wawasan Open University Penang 20-22 November 2009.
- ‘Neutral Space’ for solo piano performed by Ernst Surberg of Ensemble Mosaik on the 29th November 2009 concert of "Young Composers Competition Concert and Jury's Music" as guest composer.