Dr. Mumtaz Begum P.V Aboo Backer
Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer
Dr. Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer is a senior lecturer attached to the Department of Drama & Theatre, School of The Arts, Universiti Sains Malaysia. She’s also currently holding the position of Deputy Dean of Academic, Student & Alumni at the School. She is an academic and researcher in the field of performing arts and dance ethno choreology. Her book titled Dancing The Strong Woman in Malaysia (2011) is one of the first in the country to highlight and discuss issues on identity, feminism and the empowerment of women through the field of dance in Malaysia. Trained in Indian classical dance form Bharata Natyam, Malay traditional dances, contemporary dance techniques and Malay martial arts silat, she incorporates dance, creative movements, drama and story- telling in her artistic projects. She is a strong advocator of “Arts for All” and is actively involved in Arts Therapy for children with special needs. Mumtaz Begum is also a text book writer for the subject of Dance for Malaysian schools.
- 2007 PhD. (Dance Ethnochoreology), University of Malaya, Malaysia.
- 2002 M.A (Dance Studies), Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.
- 1996 B.A (hons), Performing Arts, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.
- 1991 Certificate in Creative Arts, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.
- 2016 (current) Deputy Dean, Academic, Student, Alumni, School of Arts (SOA), Universiti Sains
Malaysia (USM), Penang.
- 2012-2015 Chairperson of Department of Drama & Theatre, SOA, USM.
- 2008-2014 Senior Lecturer, SOA, USM.
- 2001-2003 Head of Department, Mass communications, Olympia College, Penang.
- 1998-2001 Coordinator, English Department, RIMA College, Penang.
- 1996-1998 Lecturer, RIMA College, Kuala Lumpur.
- 1998-2001 Coordinator, English Department, RIMA College, Penang.
- 1996-1998 Lecturer, RIMA College, Kuala Lumpur.
- Arts Therapy & Children’s Theatre
- Gender Studies in Dance
- Dance& Performance Studies
- VTD 233E
- VTD 233E- Traditional & Contemporary Dance techniques
- VTE 353E- Arts Therapy
- VTT 161- Basics of Drama & Theatre
- VTC 453- Community Theatre
- VTT 118- Asian Theatre
- VTE 353E Arts Therapy
- Archaeology & Performance
- Performance for Healing
- Arts Therapy for Children with Special Needs
- Gender & Performance Studies
- 2014- 2016 (Short Term grant (USM) - Team Members: Prof Dato’ Dr. Mokhtar Saidin, Dr. Muhizam Mustafa, Dr. Pravina Manoharan, Dr. Johan Othman, Dr. Najib Abdul Sani, Puan Carren Hong Kim Lan). ‘Translating Archeological Artefacts and Architectural Remains at Lembah Bujang through Dance’. (On-Progress)
- 2012-current (LRGS Grant) - Team Members (Project 2): Dato’ Prof. Mohd Ghouse Nasuruddin (Principal), Dr. Mumtaz Begum, Dr.A.S. Hardy Shafii, Dr. Pravina Manoharan, Prof Madya Dr. Kipli Abdul Rahman, Prof. Solehah Ishak. Conceptualizing Local Knowledge and Indigenous Science: (Performance for Healing) (on Progress).
- 2012-2015 (RU Grant, USM) - Team Members: Dato’ Prof Mohd Ghouse Nasuruddin (principal), Dr. Mumtaz Begum, Dr. Maria Soccoro, Mr. Yeop Abdul Rahman (Neuro-surgeon). Arts Therapy for children with special needs. Completed.
- 2012-2015 (RU Grant, USM)- Team members (Prof Madya Dr. Shanti Balraj- Principal), Prpf Dr. Ambigapathy, Dr. Mumtaz Begum, Dr. Illangko, Dr. Muhizam Mustafa- Growing up with media literacy. Completed.
- 2012-2015 (SKMM Grant)- Team members (Prof Madya Dr. Shanti Balraj- principal), Prpf. Dr. Ambigapathy, Dr. Mumtaz Begum, Dr. Illangko, Dr. Muhizam Mustafa-Captivated with Facebook: Constructions, Contexts, and consequences. Completed.
- 2011-2015 Syarul Azlina Sikandar , Ph.D. in Theatre Studies- Graduated
- 2012-2016 Ruth Hertami, Ph.D. in Dance Studies (Indonesia) - Graduated
- 2016- 2019 Muhammad Faisal bin Ahmad. (Teater Muzikal). Ongoing
- 2016-2019 Sharkawi Amit. Tarian Zapin Sebat di Sarawak. Ongoing
- 2014-2017 Shahril Akla @ Wilson. Dance Studies. Ongoing
- Shanta Candarasegaran, Masters (UM)
- Azura Abal Abbas, Masters (UM)
- Mumtaz Begum. (2011). ‘Arts for All: Can I dance Too?’ Wacana Seni. Universiti Sains Malaysia. www.scholarone
Mumtaz Begum. (2007) ‘Semiotics: Signs and Meanings in Contemporary Dance’. In Wacana Seni. Universiti Sains Malaysia, 71-76. ISSN: 1675-3410.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer, Muhizam Mustafa. (2011). Dancing the Strong Woman in Malaysia. A Study on the Relationship between the Female Role-Type and the Presence of Feminism in Contemporary Dance in Malaysia. LAP Lambert Publishing Co: Germany. ISBN: 978-3-8465-4219-4.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer, Hafzan Zannie Hamzah & Ismail Muhamad. (2016). Buku Teks Mata Pelajaran Seni Tari Tingkatan 1 untuk Sekolah Seni Malaysia. Kementerian Pelajaran Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer, Muhammad Farif Marlias. Buku Teks Mata Pelajaran Seni Tari Tingkatan 2 untuk Sekolah Seni Malaysia. Kementerian Pelajaran Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur. (Manuscript in progress- to be published in September 2016).
Chapter in Books
- Mumtaz Begum, Mohammed Ghouse Nasuruddin. (2015). ’Increasing Kinesics Awareness for non-Dancers through Dance’. Perspectives in Dance Education. Universiti Malaya: Kuala Lumpur. (Manuscript accepted).
- Mumtaz Begum, Tarmiji Masron, Muhizam Mustafa, A.S. Hardy Shafii, Nurul Farhana Low. (2014). ’A Midsummer’s Night Dream Dissected through Philosophy, Geographical Information System, Mapping of Dance and Choreography’. An Experimental Process. Reengineering Local Knowledge: Life, Science, and Technology. (eds) Norizan Esa, Leela Rajamani & Zuraidah Mohd Yusoff. Universiti Sains Malaysia: Penang.
- Mumtaz Begum. (2012). ‘Dance in Malaysia: A Reflection of Traditions through Localized Artistic Identities’. Retracing Tradition for a Sustainable Future. (ed) Nurul Farhana Low Abdullah & Mohamad Rashidi Pakri. Universiti Sains Malaysia: Penang.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer. (2011) ‘Dancing the Strong Woman: Celebrating Women, Feminism and Contemporary Dance in Malaysia’. Celebrating Dance in Malaysia: Sharing Identities. Pg 148-165. Routledge. London, New York.
- Mumtaz Begum. (2012). ‘Interpretasi Budaya dan Alam Melayu dalam Tari Kontemporari di Malaysia’. Kearifan Tempatan: Pengalaman Nusantara Meneliti Kosmologi dan Adat Istiadat (Jilid 2). (ed) Mohd Kipli Abdul Rahman, Nazarudin Zainun & Rahimah Hamid. Universiti Sains Malaysia: Penang
- Mumtaz Begum. (2008) ‘Dancing the Strong Definitive Woman through Contemporary Dance: The Malaysian Experience’. In Independence & Identity. Mohd. Anis Mohd Nor & Joseph Gonzales (ed). Kuala Lumpur, ASWARA, 41-54. ISBN: 978-983-2538-07-3.
- Mumtaz Begum. (2003) ‘Contemporary Dance in Malaysia: What is it?’. Diversity in Motion. Mohd.Anis Mohd Nor (ed). Kuala Lumpur: MyDance Alliance, Cultural Center University of Malaya, 63-67. ISBN: 983-2085-58-6. 4.
- Mumtaz Begum Backer, Pravina Manoharan. (2017). Translating Archeological Artefacts and Architectural Remains at Lembah Bujang through Performance. The ICTM Study Group on Performing Arts of Southeast Asia. Universiti Sains Malaysia: Penang. ISBN 978-461-120-0
- Muhizam Mustafa, Mumtaz Begum, A.S. Hardy Shafii, Azila Zainal. (2013). ’Simon Says Syndrome in Art & Design Education’. Proceedings from 2nd International Conference for Design Education Researchers. DRS CUMULUS: Oslo. ISBN 3978-82-93298-03-8.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer. (2010). ‘Gidda: From Private sphere to Public Sphere’. 1st PASEA Conference. Polytechnic Republic. Singapore. ICTM Proceedings Study Group.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer, Mohammed Ghouse Nasuruddin. (2013). the Role of Creative Arts Therapy for Children’. 3rd PACIA Conference. Grand Borneo. UMS: Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer, Aris Ahmad, A.S. Hardy Shafii & Johan Othman. (2012). ‘Dancing With the Gods: in 8.8’. 2nd PACIA Conference. Universiti Sains Malaysia. PACIA Proceedings. Universiti Sains Malaysia: Penang.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer. (2012). ‘Arts for All’. 3rd ICACA Conference. UNIMAS: Kuching, Sarawak.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer, Mohammed Ghouse Nasuruddin & A.S. Hardy Shafii. (2013). ‘Bageh: The Mind, Body & Soul’. 3rd RCLK Conference. Kuching: Sarawak.
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer, Mohammed Ghouse Nasuruddin & A.S. Hardy Shafii. (2014). ‘Bobohizan: The spiritual Consultant of the Kadazandusun Community’. 4th RCLK Conference. Sutera Beach Resort: Terengganu.
Articles in Magazines
- Mumtaz Begum Aboo Backer. (2011). ‘The Dancing Stars!’ Just Dance Magazine.AT Danceworks: Selangor.
- Mumtaz Begum, Aris Ahmad. (2011). ‘Vertical Road: Akram Khan in a State of Stacatto. Just Dance Magazine. AT Danceworks: Selangor.
EXHIBITION | PROJECT COLLABORATION
- The Circle of Dance - World Dance Day – 24th April 2010, USM, Penang. (Organiser).
- Georgetown Festival- Butoh with Tony Yap- 23rd July 2010, USM, Penang. (Organiser & Moderator).
- Odin Theatre – Workshop with Eugenio Barba – 21st May 2010, USM, Penang. (Organiser & Moderator).
- SUKUM ke- 35 – Koreografer Perasmian Persembahan Sukan Staf IPTA Malaysia, 16- 26 Jun 2010, USM, Penang.
- Fly Jentayu Fly- International Women’s Day – 7th& 8th March 2009, Gurney Plaza, Pulau Pinang. (Co- Choreographer & Dancer)
- Konsert Koperasi Tadika Minden-Artistic Advisor- 15 Nov 2008, USM.
- Alive/ Bernyawa- Tarian Kontemporari- International Colourful Night – Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Tronoh, Perak. 24th April 2009. Koreografer.
- Anak Raja Gondang- Teater Makyong, Kumpulan Sri Nilam, Istana Budaya, 8-9 Nov 2008, USM. (Publicity).
- Creative Movements & Storytelling Workshop with Spastic Children- 7th & 14th August 2009. (Spastic Center, Penang). A Community Project
- Malam Persada Kencana- Embracing Nature & Culture- 13 Nov 2009, Gurney Hotel, Penang. Choreographer & Dancer.
- Bengkel Halatuju Selepas STPM/ SPM- Bahagian Drama & Teater- 28 Oktober 2009, PP Seni, USM. Project Coordinator.
- Persembahan KO-TAI- Kolaborasi Ombak- Ombak Arts Studio & Bahagian Drama & Teater, PP Seni. A Community Project. (Dec 2009- Jan 2010). Artiste.
- Bengkel Drama & Theater- 27hb & 28hb October 2009, 5hb & 6hb November 2009. Sekolah Menengah St. Georges, Penang. Penceramah – A Community Project.
- Dream A Dream (DAD) Project- BOLD Center & Aida Redza- April 2009. Facilitator. Disted College, Penang. A Community Project.
- Voices Inside: A Creative Movement Workshop Performance. Shan’s Children’s Home, Penang & Mumtaz Begum – December 2009- April 2010. Artistic Director & Choreographer. An ongoing Community Project.
- Wayang the Boy & the Forest. A Theatre Performance. The Cerebral Palsy Association of Penang & School of Arts, USM. Assistant Director. October 2011, April 2012
- Tree of Life. Dance Therapy. Co-choreographer. The Cerebral Palsy Association of Penang &the School of Arts. October 2012
- Tree of Dreams & Hope. Arts Therapy Theatre Performance. Artistic Director& Choreographer. BJIM, USM, School of the Arts, USM, The Cerebral Palsy Association of Penang, Shan Children’s Home, Butterworth, mainstream schools in Penang, Taiping. Nov 2012.
- Mahabharata- Revisited. A Contemporary Dance Drama. Artistic Director & Choreographer. School of Arts, USM. Dec 2012.
- Mahabharata- Revisited. A Contemporary Dance Drama. Artistic Director & Choreographer. Collaboration between School of Arts, USM & Sek Seni Johor. 24th March 2013. Panggung Pelenggang Cahaya, USM, Penang.
- Adventures of Karum-the Dugong. A Processional Street Performance concentrating on conservation education, case study, the dugong. Director. Collaboration between Centre of Marine & Coastal Studies (CEMACS), USM, School of the Arts, USM & communities around Pulau Sibu, Johor. Date & Venue: 10th-11th June 2013, Pulau Sibu, Johor.
- Doing What’s Right. A children’s theatre, performed at various schools and centers for children with special needs in Penang. Director. Date & Venue: September 2014- December 2014.
- Tapir Oh Tapir! A children’s theatre. Director. Collaboration between School of Arts, Penang PAC, Montessori Kindergarten & St. Nicholas School for the Blind, Penang. Date & Venue: 24th & 25th April 2014, Penang PAC, in conjunction with World Tapir Day, UNESCO.
- Mowgli & Friends. A children’s Theatre. Director. Collaboration between School of Arts, USM & The Spastic School of Penang. Date & Venue: 31st October 2015, the Spastic School, Penang.
- Speech & Drama Workshop for Adults & Children. Trainor. Collaboration between USM, Sek. Keb. Minden Heights & Penang Education Council. Date & Venue: 2nd August- 28th August, Sek. Keb. Minden Heights, Penang.
- Bermulanya Di Sini...Kedah Tua. Director, Choreographer& Scriptwriter. A Theatre Performance. Collaboration with the Global Archaeology Centre, USM. Date & venue: 21-22 May 2016, Bujang Valley, Kedah.